Lagoa is a traditional Algarve town situated in the heart of the Algarve, between the boroughs of Portimão and Silves. It is an ideal holiday destination if you are looking for sunshine and relaxation.
Inserted in a traditionally agricultural and important wine-producing area, Lagoa lies on a small hill rising above flatlands that allegedly once held the lagoon that gave the city its name. The charming old city centre of whitewashed houses, cobbled streets and flower-adorned lamp posts is dominated by the main parish church, The Igreja Matriz, dedicated to Our Lady of the Light (Nossa Senhora da Luz).
Once outside the city, nothing in the municipality of Lagoa quite matches the appeal of its beaches and breathtaking coastline. The beautiful coastline is speckled with golf courses, hotels and holidays villas.Ad
- Praia da Marinha – It is one of the most beautiful and emblematic beaches of Portugal. In 1998 it was awarded the distinguished “Golden Beach” award by the Portuguese Ministry of the Environment because of its outstanding natural qualities. Furthermore, pictures of the beach have often been used in promotional material and “Guides to Portugal” distributed around the world.
This beach is not only famous for its cliffs but also for the pristine quality of the water. Praia da Marinha has often been used by advertising agencies and by television producers in advertising campaigns.
- Praia da Nossa Senhora da Rocha – The beach is one of the most rustic ones along the coast and was used as a refuge for small fishing boats in the area. The beach is flanked by cliffs. At the west end is a promentory on which is the old Fort and Shrine of Nossa Senhora da Rocha. A tunnel has been excavated through this promentory to link Praia da Senhora da Rocha with Praia Nova on the other side.
The fact that the beach/Praia da Senhora da Rocha is protected by cliffs is not only a great advantage for the fishermen, it also offers shelter to tourists when the wind is very strong.
- Praia Grande (Large Beach) is on the east bank of the wide estuary of the Rio Arade, south of Ferragudo. This beach is just inside the mole which shields the river entrance and the port area of Portimão, and runs north to the Forte de São João do Arade.
Like other beaches in the western Algarve, it is bordered by cliffs from the Miocene epoch, very rich in marine fossils.
- Carvoeiro Village – Carvoeiro represents a particulary atractive option when it comes to tourism (beaches, Golf and water sports). The scarped coast, the water quality, the warm climate and the famous Golf Courses, offer the right conditions to make Carvoeiro stand out, as a quality destination for portuguese and foreign tourists.
Walking by the seaside while admiring the natural beauty and pieces of history (achitectonic patrimony, an ancient fortress and the Shrine of Nossa Senhora da Conceição), that remained in this location, is a great advise for those who like to relax and to contemplate the beauty of nature’s work.
- Fortress and Chapel of Nossa Sra. da Encarnação (Built around 1670, this polygon-shaped fortification is located on the cliff near the Carvoeiro Beach.).
* Restaurant O Boteco, Praia do Paraíso, Carvoeiro, 8400-556 Lagoa, (+ 351) 282 357 265. Located in the quaint Carvoeiro Village, “O Boteco” stands out for the quality of its cuisine, especially its regional dishes (various chargrilled dishes and seafood platters), excellent service and privileged location with a breathtaking panoramic view of the sea and the small Praia do Paraíso (Paradise beach).
You can Stay in different freguesiaswith stautus of towns from the Town of Lagoa where the major hotels are located, Porches, Carvoeiro, Mexilhoeira da Carregação e Ferragudo. You will finf top spot near the Beaches.
* Vilalara Thalassa Resort (First Thalasso in Portugal), Praia das Gaivota, Alporchinhos, 8400-450 Porches, +351 282320000 (email@example.com, fax: +351 282320077). checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Located by the sea where nature is found in its purest state, the Vilalara Thalassa Resort, with its expressive but tasteful architecture, is a place dedicated to well-being and the senses.
* Hotel Apartamento Solférias****, Sitio do Mato Serrão, Praia do Carvoeiro, 8400-556 LAGOA, (+351) 282 357 401 (firstname.lastname@example.org). At the Solférias ApartHotel, guests will be able to enjoy a relaxing holiday, in a tranquil area, since the hotel is located near the Carvoeiro town, but far from the busy center; within a calm environment, the hotel is close to the famous nearby beaches.